- Toy Story VHS and LaserDisc release, October 29
- The THX trailer titled "Tex", is released, featuring John Lasseter as Tex's animator and creator, July 3
- Pixar Animation Studios adds 125 new employees, bringing the total payroll to over 300
- Apple purchases NeXT Software for $400 million (Steve Jobs was the Chairman and CEO of NeXT), December 20
- Disney Interactive releases two CD-ROMs based on Toy Story, selling nearly 1 million units
- The Toy Story See 'n Say was first introduced to the public.
- ↑ Pixar Animation Studios 1996 Report to Shareholders
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.