- "I get a fishy! Fishy, fishy, fishy!"
- —Darla Sherman
Darla Sherman is small and 8 years old (according to Philip in the film and Pixarpedia), she has fair skin, red hair with pigtails, green eyes, braces with headgear, white turtleneck with a black spot in the center, purple long-sleeved shirt with white and pink sparkling letters that say "Rock n Roll Girl," yellow skirt with dark brown plaid, white socks and black Mary Jane shoes. In the picture from the dentist's office, Darla wore pink overalls with white buttons and a teal long-sleeved shirt.
- Bloat: "Oh, Darla."
Nemo: "What? What's wrong with her?"
Gurgle: "She wouldn't stop shaking the bag!"
Bubbles: "Poor Chuckles."
Deb: [winces] "He was her present last year."
Bloat: "Hitched a ride on the porcelain express..."
Peach: "She's a fish killer!"
- —Nemo and the Tank Gang, explaining about Darla
"Dr. Sherman's niece loves fish, especially piranhas. Her uncle likes to give her reef fish as pets. Sadly, they don't last very long—like poor Chuckles, her goldfish gift from last year. The tank gang live in terror of Darla's visits as she likes to scream at the fish and thump the tank to liven them up. During Nemo's escape, Gill manages to land in her hair, freak her out, and get revenge for some of the terror she's caused over the years."
She is the niece of Philip Sherman, a dentist. Gill and the other fish in Sherman's fish tank describe Darla as a fish killer and that Nemo is supposed to be her new pet fish. The last fish she received, Chuckles, was "killed" by her because she wouldn't stop shaking the bag Chuckles was in. In the scene where Darla is about to take Nemo from her uncle, Nemo plays dead, but Darla thinks he is just sleeping and starts shaking the bag. Gill then fires himself out of the tank and lands in her hair, causing her to drop Nemo and his bag pops.
After Gill catapults Nemo into the air, Darla tries to grab him, but he lands in a sink and is sucked into a drain leading to a sewer. Darla then looks down the drain and screams, "FISHY!" and then the drain squirts water in her face from pushing on the washbowl too hard, causing it to break. It's unknown what happened to Darla afterwards.
- According to one of the Finding Nemo books, the shirt Darla was wearing in the film was given to her by her uncle after her previous pet fish, Chuckles was flushed.
- Darla was named after Darla K. Anderson, a Pixar employee.
- According to the Darla scene side by side video from YouTube, Darla was originally gonna wear a outfit in the film.
- Darla can be briefly seen in the transition to the Bonus Features on Disc 2 of the 2-disc Edition of Finding Nemo, there she sings, "I get fishy, fishy, fishy, fishy" then laughs happily.
- Darla appears in Toy Story 3 in Molly Davis' magazine.
- The same photo of Darla that her uncle had in his office can be seen on the wall in the quarantine area of the Marine Life Institute in Finding Dory.