- “I'm Meilin Lee! And ever since I turned 13, I've been doin' my own thing, makin' my own moves; 24/7/365! I wear what I want, say what I want, and I will not hesitate to do a spontaneous cartwheel if I feel so moved!”
- ―Mei Lee's introduction in the opening scene.
Meilin "Mei" Lee (born c. 1989) is the main protagonist of the Disney•Pixar film, Turning Red.
Mei is a Chinese-Canadian, 13-year-old teenage girl living in Toronto, passing through the trials and turbulations of growing up with the added bonus of turning into a massive red panda every time she feels strong emotions, which, when you’re a teenager, is almost all the time. With her friends, Miriam, Priya, and Abby, they have fun and enjoy a popular boyband called 4*Town.
Mei is a loud, dorky, and independent 13-year-old girl who gets really good grades in school and she appreciates her life and her family especially with her best friends.
Mei is a girl with Asian descent/ancestry. She has brown eyes and fair skin. Her hair and eyebrows are black but after the first transformation into a red panda, her hair and eyebrows changed into red color. She wear glasses and wears moderately at the beginning of the film as it proceeds her fashion choices are much more outrageous, in the early 2000s.
Having a mystical connection to red pandas, from ancestry, Mei also got passed down the red panda powers along with the rest of her family (excluding her father) from Sun Yee, the revered ancestor.
Mei can turn into a red panda whenever she gets strong emotions like: excited, sad, angry, and others. Since she needs to calm down in order to stop the red panda from coming, she needs to practice not being hyper and all those by being with her loved ones and thinking about them.
- Mei is the first Asian protagonist in a Pixar movie.
- Mei is the first female protagonist to wear glasses and the 5th female protagonist (after Merida, Joy, Dory, and Elastigirl) in a Pixar movie.
- Mei's hair turned from black to red when she first changed into a red panda. So, she wore a beanie to hide that.
- Mei is the 6th Pixar protagonist to have powers.