- You won't believe what I've found out here. This is bigger than anything we've ever seen. And no one even knows it exists!
- —Leland Turbo in his message to Finn McMissile
The Oil Rigs are a location in Cars 2.
They are located in the middle of the northern Pacific Ocean. These oil platforms are clandestine structures, on the largest untapped oil resources in the world. They are kept under complete secret by scrambling satellite images, and by protecting them on sea by combats ships. The oil rigs are owned by the Lemons criminal organization directed by oil tycoon Miles Axlerod, which plans to get the world dependent on them for fuel, by securing this location, and its oil.
The oil platforms sit on 4 legs, showing that they are fixed platforms. Each platform has a flare stack and various cranes.
- In the trailer, it is said that it makes the Bermuda Triangle look like a kiddie pool.
- The oil rigs are the only location in Cars 2 that aren't car-ified (integrating automotive elements in its architecture). Production Designer Harley Jessup commented: "John [Lasseter] said it was already "car-ified": It’s creating their food."
- Though Axlerod refers to the oil reserves under the rigs as "untapped", his statement is actually redundant since they're already being exploited by him and the lemon bosses via the rigs.