thumb|right|300px|Planes Trailer Planes is an upcoming direct-to-video spin-off of Cars. Pixar Animation Studios, however, will not be producing the film. Instead, it will be produced by DisneyToon Studios. It is set to be released on DVD and Blu-ray in the Fall of 2013.
"From high above the world of "Cars," flies "Planes," Disney's upcoming animated action-packed comedic adventure starring Dusty, a big-hearted, fast-flying crop duster who dreams of competing in the most exhilarating around-the-world air race in history. There's only a couple of not-so-small problems - Dusty is not exactly built for racing and he also happens to be afraid of heights.
Despite his fear and with encouragement from his mentor, a naval aviator named Skipper, Dusty narrowly qualifies for the big competition. Dusty's sportsmanship and speed begin to rattle the defending champ of the race circuit, Ripslinger, who will stop at nothing to see Dusty fail.
When disaster strikes during the climax of the final race, Dusty's courage is put to the ultimate test. With the support of friends old and new, Dusty reaches heights he never dreamed possible and in the process, gives a spellbound world the inspiration to soar."
- Jon Cryer: Dusty Crophopper
- Stacy Keach: Skipper
- Brad Garrett: Chug
- Carlos Alazraqui: El Chupacabra
Lasseter had this to say about the film:
|“||We had such a great time exploring the world of Cars over the course of two films, so it seemed only natural for us to see where our imaginations would take us in a film where planes were the main characters. By expanding the Cars world, Planes gave us a whole new set of fun-filled situations and a great opportunity to introduce some fantastic new characters. The team at DisneyToon Studios has done such an amazing job creating a heartfelt story filled with great comedy, adventure, and emotion. I know audiences are going to love taking off into the wild blue yonder with these daredevil characters, as they experience a whole new kind of animated adventure.||”|
On August 20, 2011 at the D23 Expo it was announced that Jon Cryer will be the voice of the main protagonist Dusty. James Seymour Brett is set to write the film's score. The film was originally going to be released in Spring 2013, but DisneyToon has pushed it back to Fall 2013 for the United States. In Europe, it will have a theatrical release.
DisneyToon is also working on a sequel, called Planes 2: Fire and Rescue.
Besides the Planes trilogy, DisneyToon is considering to make more spin-offs that would feature other vehicles like boats and trains, and which may go into production if the Planes series is well received. John Lasseter said: "I kept thinking about—I’m a big train fanatic. I love trains. And I started thinking about trains, and boats and airplanes. And I kept wanting to have more and more of those type of characters. [...] It’s one of the ideas, that there will be an ongoing series. It almost starts getting into this thing where we fall in love with these plane characters, we want to see more and more stories with them. And then you start doing other vehicles and stuff like that. Yeah. So it kind of is a bigger idea that can keep expanding."
To create a transition between Cars and Planes, Disney launched a product collection called "Cars Take Flight", which focuses on releasing merchandise for Cars Toons episodes Moon Mater and Air Mater. The line features die-cast, race tracks, games and books. A "Cars Take Flight" event was held on September 14th, 2012 at the Chicagoland Speedway. A "Cars Take Flight" official website launched a contest whose prize is a vacation to Cars Land.
- The Cars Toons episode Air Mater introduced elements of Planes, including Propwash Junction, Dusty's hometown, and Skipper, his mentor. Mater drops an allusion to Planes at the end of the short as he says that "They oughta make a whole movie about planes" .
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Disney Officially Announces PLANES, a Direct-to-DVD Spin-Off of Pixar’s CARS
- ↑ Disney Changes 'Planes' Release Date
- ↑ Cars Official Website
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Jon Cryer cast in 'Planes'
- ↑ Stacy Keach Official Website
- ↑ Stand-Up Comedian Brad Garrett
- ↑ The News Tribune
- ↑ 
- ↑ INTERVIEW: Anna Chapman, Disney
- ↑ Exclusive: DisneyToon Already Working on Planes Sequel
- ↑ Bradley Raymond dishes dirt on the Disney Channel's "Pixie Hollow Games" TV special
- ↑ Bob Hilgenberg and Rob Muir on the Rise and Fall of Disney’s Circle 7 Animation
- ↑ In ‘Cars 2,’ John Lasseter Says Big Oil is the ‘Uber Bad Guy’
- ↑ Disney Toy World Supplement 2012
- ↑ ‘Cars Take Flight’ at Chicagoland Speedway’s Kids Zone This Weekend
- ↑ Cars Take Flight | Disney
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named