Stanley Kubrick was a director whose works are referenced in several Pixar productions.
References in Pixar
Toy Story (1995)
- The carpeting of Sid's house is similar to that of the Overlook Hotel in The Shining.
- Sarge, voiced by the late R. Lee Ermey, is based on Ermey's portrayal of Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in Kubrick's film Full Metal Jacket.
A Bug's Life (1998)
- According to John Lasseter, Dim is modeled on the character of the same name from A Clockwork Orange.
Toy Story 2 (1999)
- During the video game sequence, when Buzz jumps on the floating platforms in Zurg's lair, he does it to the tune of "Also sprach Zarathustra", the theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Finding Nemo (2003)
- While chasing Marlin and Dory through the submarine, Bruce (in his berserk state) smashes part of a door, sticks his head into the hole and shouts "HERE'S BRUCIE!". This is a parody of the iconic scene in The Shining, when Jack Torrance smashes a door with an axe, pokes his head through the hole and shouts "Here's Johnny!".
The Incredibles (2004)
- When Mr. Incredible sneaks into Syndrome's lair, he runs through a room of monorail vehicles. The room's layout resembles the pod bay aboard the Discovery One in 2001: A Space Odyssey.
- WALL•E has several references to Kubrick's film 2001: A Space Odyssey:
- WALL•E's pet cockroach is named Hal.
- Auto's appearance is based on HAL 9000.
- When Captain McCrea wakes up, the song "Blue Danube", which played in 2001: A Space Odyssey, plays in the background.
- When the Captain fights Auto, the music playing is the opening of Richard Strauss' "Also sprach Zarathustra", which was the opening theme of 2001: A Space Odyssey.
- When the Axiom goes into hyperdrive, it parodies the Stargate sequence in 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Toy Story 3 (2010)
- The toy dinosaur down the street who messages Trixie is called Velocistar237. The number 237 is a nod to Room 237 at the Overlook Hotel from The Shining.
- The license plate on the garbage truck that Sid drives reads "RM237", another reference to The Shining.
- Demo Mode Buzz's "Kubrick stare" is mentioned in the DVD commentary.
Cars 3 (2017)
- At Thunder Hollow, "Also sprach Zarathustra" (the theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey) plays at the beginning of the demolition derby.
- When Dante is resting, Jack Torrance's axe from The Shining is nearby, next to a red drum, a reference to REDRUM.
- Later on, the Grady twins (also from The Shining) appear in a painting in Frida Kahlo's studio, when Miguel chases Dante.
Toy Story 4 (2019)
- When Woody and Forky meet Gabby Gabby in the Second Chance Antiques shop, the song 'Midnight, the Stars and You' by Al Bowlly, which was heard in The Shining, plays in the background.
- One of Buzz's voice-box phrases is "Open the pod bay doors". This line was spoken in 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Stanley Kubrick on Wikipedia