- "No, no, guys! You've got the wrong Buzz! You've got the wrong Buzz!"
- —Andy's Buzz, trapped in a cardboard box, as Andy's toys mistake Utility Belt Buzz for himself
Utility Belt Buzz (a.k.a. Buzz #2 and New Buzz) is a minor character in Toy Story 2. Being a toy, he is essentially like every other Buzz Lightyear manufactured, as he believes he is a real space ranger. He looks very identical to Andy's Buzz, but sports a blue utility belt as a new accessory.
Toy Story 2
- Buzz Lightyear: "Ow! Listen to me! Listen to me! You're not really a Space Ranger! You're a toy! We're all toys! Do you hear me?!"
- New Buzz: "Well, that should hold you until the court martial."
- Buzz Lightyear: "Let me go! You don't realize what you're doing!"
- ―New Buzz stuffs Andy's Buzz into an empty cardboard box[src]
While searching through Al's Toy Barn, Andy's Buzz Lightyear discovers an aisle full of new Buzz Lightyear action figures. He sees "NEW UTILITY BELT!" on the display stand and climbs up to encounter this Buzz Lightyear action figure. When he foolishly attempts to take this Buzz's belt, the Utility Belt Buzz suddenly springs to life, mistaking him for a rogue space ranger and overpowering him in a fight. Utility Belt Buzz, not knowing he is a toy, subdues Andy's Buzz and takes the latter as the former's prisoner. Utility Belt Buzz ties and stuffs Andy's Buzz into a Buzz Lightyear box as Andy's Buzz tries to convince Utility Belt Buzz that he is a toy, but he takes no attention. Irritated by Andy's Buzz's "misbehavior," Utility Belt Buzz isolates Andy's Buzz by placing him on the shelf with the newer Buzz Lightyear toys. He, like the original Buzz in the previous film, believes that he is a real space ranger, although he is apparently even more deluded than Andy's Buzz initially was (e.g. when Andy's Buzz has mumbled whether he has been this deluded in embarrassment of his former behavior).
When Tour Guide Barbie drives the toys into the Buzz Lightyear aisle, Hamm calls to Utility Belt Buzz, thinking he's Andy's Buzz. Utility Belt Buzz turns on his laser as Tour Guide Barbie stops the car. He is at first suspicious of Andy's toys, but when Rex excitedly claims that he knows how to defeat the Evil Emperor Zurg, Utility Belt Buzz becomes convinced to join the toys on their quest, considering them his allies while thinking that they are on a mission to infiltrate Zurg's fortress, defeat the evil emperor, and possibly rescue a person taken hostage by Zurg himself. The toys then leave the aisle, leaving Andy's Buzz tied up in a box on the shelf, struggling to get out. As the toys leave with Utility Belt Buzz, Andy's Buzz screams out to them that they have the wrong Buzz, but since he is in a thick cardboard spaceship shaped box, none of them can hear him. At several points, Utility Belt Buzz nicknames Hamm, Mr. Potato Head, and Rex "slotted pig," "vegetable man," and "lizard man," respectively, and imagines the owner of Al's Toy Barn (Al McWhiggin, the same man who has kidnapped Woody) as a possible agent of Zurg. He tells the toys to get into Al's bag, thinking it might lead him to Zurg. After the toys arrive outside the building that houses Al's Penthouse, Utility Belt Buzz finds the air vent and navigates the toys through the vent and up the elevator shaft with his grappling hook on his new utility belt, despite Mr. Potato Head growing more suspicious of his cocky attitude ("I'm Buzz Lightyear. I'm always sure!"). During the climb, Rex slips and pushes the toys to the bottom of the line, causing Utility Belt Buzz's strength to give out, prompting him to activate his anti-gravity servos (unaware that he is just a toy). Despite protest from the toys, Utility Belt Buzz lets go of the wall, and the toys land on a conveniently rising elevator that takes them up to level 23. He thinks that his anti-gravity servos are really working, however, and is unaware of Andy's Buzz tracking him and the rest of the toys.
Utility Belt Buzz acts literally when he tells Rex to "use his head," and the toys then use him as a battering ram to break into Al's penthouse. In the ensuing melee that follows, Utility Belt Buzz and the toys grab Woody and head back for the vent, but Andy's Buzz stops them. In a brief argument between the two Buzz Lightyear toys, Andy's Buzz opens Utility Belt Buzz's helmet, causing the latter to think he is suffocating under "toxic" air, and proves that the former is the Buzz the other toys recognize by flashing Andy's name written on the bottom of his foot; though before this, the toys were willing to accept Utility Belt Buzz's when they didn't buy his behavior. After regaining his composure, Utility Belt Buzz is confused at what is happening, but is stunned to learn from Andy's Buzz about "Code 546," then walks over to Woody and kneels in front of him, delightedly addressing Woody as "Your Majesty."
When the toys head back to the elevator after Al packs Woody and the Roundup gang into his case and leaves the room, they encounter a Zurg action figure (let loose by Andy's Buzz when leaving Al's Toy Barn), whom Utility Belt Buzz battles. During this fight, Zurg claims that he is Buzz's father, causing Utility Belt Buzz. After Rex accidentally knocks Zurg down the elevator shaft with his tail, Utility Belt Buzz forlornly thinks he has lost his father. After the toys leave the apartment, Andy's Buzz runs into Utility Belt Buzz one last time when the other Buzz is last seen playing ball with Zurg to form a real father-son bond. He describes Zurg as a "great dad," as Andy's Buzz bids him farewell with a Vulcan salute.
Toy Story 3
By the time of Toy Story 3, it is unknown what had become of Utility Belt Buzz. He is referenced, however, in the Buzz Lightyear manual at Sunnyside Daycare, describing the Buzz Lightyear Utility Belt as an upcoming accessory.
Utility Belt Features
- Hamm: "Say, where'd you get that cool belt, Buzz?"
- New Buzz: "Well, they're standard issue, slotted pig."
- ―Hamm asks New Buzz about his utility belt[src]
- Anti-Gravity Servo - when the button in the center of the belt is pressed, it will light up and make noises, mirroring how it was used in Buzz Lightyear: Attack on Zurg (in the game, it lights up and creates a bubble around Buzz).
- Climbing Magnets - on each side of the belt, protruding handles can be pulled out and magnets will fold out of each. These magnets can be used to scale metal surfaces. In addition, a grappling hook is stored in the back compartment of the belt.
- When Utility Belt Buzz fights with Zurg, the latter claims he is the former's father, a word-to-word parody of when Darth Vader reveals that he is Luke Skywalker's father in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.
- In a shot where Andy's Buzz encounters New Buzz, the camera starts on the former climbing up a display stand, zooms out to reveal a pair of legs, and pans up to reveal the latter standing tall. A similar pattern happened in the first film where Woody climbs up Andy's bed to encounter the original Buzz.
- When Andy's Buzz opens New Buzz's helmet to make him gasp for air before confirming he's the "Buzz" the other toys knew by showing them his Andy logo on his foot, it mirrors when Woody opens the original Buzz's helmet in the previous film.
- There is also a Toy Story Collection version of Utility Belt Buzz.
- In Toy Story 2: The Video Game, Utility Belt Buzz is a boss at Al's Space Land riding a moon buggy. Strangely, however, he doesn't have the utility belt.
- Code 6404.5, as Utility Belt Buzz mentions, is actually the California "No-Smoking" Code.
- In the novelization of Toy Story 2, Utility Belt Buzz is not shown playing catch with Zurg, but instead carrying his lifeless body back to Al's Toy Barn to rest.
- The scene was also reminiscent to the climax to Return of the Jedi where Luke Skywalker, while evacuating the soon-to-be-destroyed Death Star, was dragging his father, Darth Vader, to the latter's shuttle due to Vader, having been exposed to a full dose of Emperor Palpatine's Force Lightning in order to save Luke from the latter, having his life support armor being suffering irreparable damage to such an extent that he was no longer able to walk there without help.
- Utility Belt Buzz was presumably created to promote the Buzz Lightyear video game that Rex was earlier seen playing, as the belt resembled the one in the game, and he once attempted to activate the anti-gravity servos that were from that game.
- Buzz Lightyear: "Am I really that fat?" (He spots a blue utility belt on New Buzz's waist and reaches out for it. Suddenly, New Buzz grabs Buzz's arm) "Ow! What are you doing?"
- New Buzz: "You're in direct violation of Code 6404.5 stating all space rangers are to be in hyper-sleep until awakened by authorized personnel."
- Buzz Lightyear: "Oh no."
- (New Buzz presses Buzz against a display case wall)
New Buzz: "You're breaking ranks, ranger." (opens his wrist communicator) "Buzz Lightyear to Star Command: I've got an AWOL Space Ranger."
- Buzz Lightyear: "Tell me I wasn't this deluded."
- New Buzz: "No back talk! I have a laser, and I will use it."
- Buzz Lightyear: "You mean the laser that's a light bulb?"
- (Buzz activates New Buzz's laser; New Buzz gasps)
New Buzz: "Has your mind been melded? You could've killed me, Space Ranger! Or should I say traitor?"
- (New Buzz turns on laser that beams onto Buzz's forehead)
Buzz Lightyear : "I don't have time for this."
- (Buzz walks away, New Buzz keeps his laser beam on Buzz's forehead)
New Buzz: "Halt! I order you to halt!"
- ―Andy's Buzz and New Buzz in their first confrontation[src]
- Hamm: "Hey, Buzz!"
- New Buzz: "Halt! Who goes there?"
- (New Buzz turns on his laser)
Mr. Potato Head: "Quit clowning around and get in the car!"
- Rex: "Buzz, Buzz, I know how to defeat Zurg!"
- (New Buzz turns off his laser)
New Buzz: "You do?"
- Rex: "Come on, I'll tell you on the way."
- ―Hamm, Rex, and Mr. Potato Head call to New Buzz[src]
- Rex: "You see, all along, we thought the way into Zurg's fortress was through the main gate, but in fact, the secret entrance is to the left, hidden in the shadows."
- (New Buzz opens his wrist communicator to take notes)
New Buzz: "To the left in the shadows, got it."
- ―Rex tells New Buzz some secrets he has learned from the video game manual[src]
- Slinky: "It's him."
- Hamm: "The chicken man."
- New Buzz: "Funny, he doesn't look like poultry."
- Slinky: "That's the kidnapper all right."
- New Buzz: "A kidnapper...an agent of Zurg if I ever saw one."
- ―New Buzz and the toys, as Al enters his office[src]
- (Rex screams after finding himself left in the car with the toys)
Rex: "He didn't take the bag!"
- New Buzz: "No time to lose!" (jumps out of the bag) "He's ascending in the vertical transporter." (opens his wings) "All right, everyone. Hang on, we're gonna blast through the roof."
- Rex: "Uh, Buzz?"
- New Buzz: "To infinity and beyond!"
- (However, nothing happens)
Mr. Potato Head: "What are you, insane? We're wasting time." (to Rex) "Stand still, Godzilla."
- (New Buzz closes his wings)
New Buzz: "I don't understand. Somehow my fuel cells have gone dry."
- ―New Buzz and the toys after Al leaves his bag in his car[src]
- (New Buzz finds an air vent)
New Buzz: "Troops, over here!" (opens the air vent) "Just like you've said, Lizard Man, in the shadows to the left. Okay, let's move!" (New Buzz and the toys enter the vent) "'Mission log: having infiltrated enemy territory without detection, and are making our way through the bowels of Zurg's fortress.'""
- Hamm: "You know, I think that Buzz aisle went to his head."
- (The toys soon reach an intersection)
Slinky Dog: "Which way do we go?"
- New Buzz: "This way."
- Mr. Potato Head: "What makes you so sure?"
- New Buzz: "I'm Buzz Lightyear. I'm always sure!" (beat) "We've been detected. The walls! They're closing in! Quick, help me prop up vegetable man or we're done for!"
- (New Buzz lifts up Mr. Potato Head)
Mr. Potato Head: "Hey! Put me down, you moron!"
- Rex: "Hey, guys, look! It's not the walls, it's the elevator!"
- ―New Buzz leads the toys through an air vent[src]
- New Buzz: "Come on, we've got no time to lose. Everyone, grab hold!"
- (New Buzz starts climbing up the elevator shaft)
Hamm: "Uh, Buzz, why not just take the elevator?"
- New Buzz: "They'll be expecting that!"
- ―New Buzz leads the toys up an elevator shaft[src]
- Mr. Potato Head: "Hey! How much farther, Buzz?"
- New Buzz: "Halfway there."
- Rex: "My arms can't hold on much longer!"
- (Rex slips and pushes the toys to the end of the line)
New Buzz: "Too...heavy...what was I thinking? My antigravity servos!" (turns on his antigravity servos) "Hang tight, everyone. I'm going to let go of the wall."
- Rex: "What?"
- Mr. Potato Head: "He wouldn't."
- New Buzz: "One."
- Hamm: "He would."
- New Buzz: "Two." (The toys try to protest) "Three!" (New Buzz lets go; the toys fall and land on the rising elevator) "To infinity and beyond! Approaching destination. Reengaging gravity." (turns off his antigravity servos) "Area secure." (turns to see the toys feeling dizzy) "It's okay, troops. The antigravity sickness will wear off momentarily. Now let's move."
- Mr. Potato Head: "Remind me to glue his helmet shut when we get back."
- ―New Buzz and the toys go up the elevator shaft[src]
- New Buzz: "Mission log: having reached Zurg's command deck, but no sign of him or his wooden captive."
- (Slinky hears Woody screaming)
Slinky Dog: "That's Woody!"
- New Buzz: "This way."
- (The toys reach the vent grate)
Mr. Potato Head: "Buzz, can you see? What's going on?" (New Buzz pokes Mr. Potato Head's eye through the grate) "To the left. No, your left. Take it up higher."
- New Buzz: "What's happening?"
- Mr. Potato Head: "Oh, it's...it's horrible. They're...they're torturing him."
- Rex: "What are we going to do, Buzz?"
- New Buzz: "Use your head."
- (Cut to New Buzz and the toys using Rex as a battering ram)
Rex: "But I don't wanna use my head!"
- ―New Buzz and the toys reach Al's apartment, and use Rex as a battering ram[src]
- New Buzz: "Hold on! I am Buzz Lightyear, and I'm in charge of this detachment."
- Buzz Lightyear: "No. I'm Buzz Light-."
- New Buzz: "I am Buzz Light-!"
- Buzz Lightyear: "I'm Buzz Lightyear!"
- Woody: "So, who's the real Buzz?"
- Buzz Lightyear & New Buzz: "I AM!!"
- New Buzz: "Don't let this impostor fool you! He's been trained by Zurg himself to mimic my every move."
- ―Andy's Buzz confronts New Buzz for the second time[src]
- New Buzz: "Will somebody please tell me what's going on?"
- Buzz Lightyear: "It's all right, Space Ranger. It's a code 546."
- New Buzz: "You mean it's a..."
- Buzz Lightyear: "Yes."
- New Buzz: "And he's a..."
- Buzz Lightyear: "Oh, yeah."
- (New Buzz walks over to Woody and kneels before him)
New Buzz: "Your Majesty."
- ―Andy's Buzz tries to explain the situation to New Buzz[src]
- Rex: "Buzz, you could have defeated Zurg all along! You just need to believe in yourself!"
- (Rex gasps as Zurg aims his ion blaster at New Buzz's head)
Zurg: "Prepare to die!"
- Rex: "I can't look!" (Rex turns away, his tail knocks Zurg down the elevator shaft) "I did it. I finally defeated Zurg!"
- New Buzz: "Father..."
- ―Rex defeats Zurg by accident[src]
- New Buzz: "I got it!"
- Buzz Lightyear : "Buzz, are you coming?"
- New Buzz: "No, I...I have a lot of catchin' up to do with my dad."
- (New Buzz throws the ball back at Zurg; it hits him on his head)
Zurg: "Good throw, son. That's my boy. Go long, Buzzy!"
- (Zurg fires another ball for New Buzz to catch)
New Buzz: "Oh, you're a great dad! Yippee!"
- Buzz Lightyear: "Farewell."
- ―Andy's Buzz runs into New Buzz, who is playing catch with Zurg[src]