- "What's the point in prolonging the inevitable? We're all just one stitch away from here...to there."
- —Wheezy points to a yard sale outside Andy's house
Wheezy is a supporting character and a squeaky toy penguin that appears in Toy Story 2.
Toy Story 2
Andy got Wheezy sometime before the events of Toy Story 2. He was once one of Andy's favorite toys until his squeaker somehow broke. Andy was very upset, and when his mother said she would fix it (just to get him to calm down), she instead left Wheezy on the shelf, where he was forgotten as he got sicker and sicker, while also coughing on the dust. He tried to squeak for help, but nobody could hear him as his squeaker was still broken, plus the dust would exacerbate his sickness further.
When Woody's arm was accidentally torn by Andy, he also ended up on the shelf and by chance, discovered Wheezy. He tried to help Wheezy but there was little he could do to repair him. The asthmatic penguin pointed out that there was a yard sale outside and that he was likely to be sold. He was among the few toys collected for the sale, so Woody rushed to rescue him. He and Andy's dog, Buster, ran out to the sale and recovered Wheezy, who was grateful for his help. Unfortunately, Woody fell off Buster, who ran back inside the house with Wheezy still on him. Woody was subsequently found and kidnapped by Al, and this is where the toys' mission to rescue him began. As Buzz prepared to embark on his mission, Wheezy pleaded with Buzz to save Woody. Buzz promised Wheezy that he would do his absolute best.
Wheezy was later seen in a much happier mood after Woody and his friends return home. Wheezy was finally repaired and his illness was cured with help from Mr. Shark and sang "You've Got a Friend in Me" to all of his friends in a deep jubilent voice.
Toy Story 3
- "We've lost friends along the way... Wheezy... and Etch..."
Wheezy only appeared briefly in the home videos that Andy's mom made of Andy when he was a kid. Later on, Woody commented that Wheezy and toys like him were either given away or sold in yard sales, which suggests that Woody was unable to help him this time like he did before. Wheezy had a silent cameo in the movie, most likely out of respect for his late voice actor, Joe Ranft.
Buzz Lightyear of Star Command
In the show's pilot, Wheezy makes a cameo appearance in the film's opening sequence where Joe Ranft reprises his role. Wheezy sees the Buzz Lightyear VHS after it arrives in Andy's room and tells Buzz, "You ought to sign that tape there. It might be worth something someday!" Later, in the TV series, Wheezy makes a cameo at the intros of the animated series where he is trapped in a box house on fire. Suddenly, Buzz flies by and rescues him. Buzz then goes to watch his TV show with the others.
Toy Story 3: The Video Game
From Official Website:
|“||Wheezy, the squeaking penguin, has seen better days. Ever since his squeaker broke, he's been marooned on top of a tall bookcase in Andy's room. But given another chance (and a new squeaker), the dapper penguin can still belt out a tune or two.||”|
- Wheezy originated from the earliest story ideas for the first Toy Story, when it would have starred the main character Tinny from Tin Toy. At that time, it was planned to have been a feature version of Pixar's unmade TV special A Tin Toy Christmas (hence the reason that he's a penguin).
- Wheezy got his name from having asthma.
- Before Toy Story 3 came out, Wheezy was rumored to have a speaking role with a new voice actor. Among the voice actors rumored were Charlie Adler, Mark Linn-Baker, Mike Myers, and the late Robin Williams before his death in 2014.
- Both of his voice actors, Joe Ranft and Robert Goulet, have died after the film, just two years apart.
- In one of the videos on the Toy Story 3 website, his own version of "You've Got a Friend in Me" is shown as a remix, and he is also credited as "Squeak E. Clean."
- Wheezy made a non-speaking cameo appearance in a Toy Story Mania commercial.
- According to Disneystrology, his birthday would be on September 13.
- On some non-U.S. releases of the film, the letter blocks that spell Wheezy's name are replaced with stars.
- Wheezy had a minor appearance as Jim's toy in Out
- Woody: "Wheezy? Is that you?"
Wheezy: "Hey, Woody."
Woody: "What are you doing up here? I thought Mom took you to get your squeaker fixed months ago. Andy was so upset."
Wheezy: "Nah. She just told him that to calm him down, and then... put me on the shelf."
Woody: "Well, why didn't you yell for help?"
Wheezy: "Well I tried squeakin', but I'm still broken. No one could hear me. (tries squeaking, but coughs instead) Besides... (gasps) ...the dust aggravates my condition."
- —Woody meets a broken Wheezy on a shelf
- Wheezy: "Mr. Buzz Lightyear, you just gotta save my pal Woody. (coughs)"
Buzz Lightyear: "I'll do my best, son."
- —Wheezy pleads for Buzz Lightyear to rescue Woody
- Woody: "Wheezy, you're fixed!"
Wheezy: "Oh, yeah. Mr. Shark looked in the toy box and found me an extra squeaker."
Woody: "And how do you feel?"
Wheezy: "Oh, I feel swell. In fact, I think I feel a song coming on!"
- —Woody and a fixed Wheezy