The Wilhelm scream is an iconic sound effect that was first introduced in the 1951 film Distant Drums. As its name suggests, it is the sound of a man screaming, and over the years has appeared in hundreds of films. The Wilhelm scream has also become something of an inside joke in the film industry, as its distinctive sound and wide usage has made it instantly recognizable, regardless of the kind of film it appears in. Beyond its uses in Pixar films, the Wilhelm scream has appeared in other animated films from Disney, DreamWorks Animation and Illumination, as well as live-action films such as the Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises, and The Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Pixar films and shorts that use the Wilhelm scream
- Toy Story (1995) - When Buzz Lightyear gets pushed out the window by a lamp.
- Cars (2006) - When a car gets zapped by a laser during Lightning McQueen's daydream of being sponsored by Dinoco.
- Your Friend the Rat (2007) - When an astronaut gets frightened by a rat during the song "Plan B".
- Lifted (2007) - When Ernie falls off the crater after the credits.
- Up (2009) - When the dogs are falling off a cliff while attempting to chase Carl Fredricksen and Russell with the bird, a Wilhelm scream can be heard.
- George and A.J. (2009) - When one of the houses burrows down, the Wilhelm scream can be heard.
- Day & Night (2010) - During the movie scene when the cowboy shoots a man off-screen.
- Toy Story 3 (2010) - During the opening scene, while Andy and his toys are watching a "scary movie" during the "You've Got a Friend in Me" sequence, a Wilhelm scream can be heard.
- Cars 2 (2011) - When the cars in the Ye Left Turn Inn beat Grem and Acer up.
- The Legend of Mor'du (2012) - When Mor'du throws down soldiers from a rock, the Wilhelm scream can be heard.
- Monsters University (2013) - When Mike unknowingly runs over a student with the floor waxer.
- The Radiator Springs 500½ (2014) - When the Baja pros fall down a cliff while chasing McQueen.
- Toy Story 4 (2019) - While Woody and Bo Peep wander around inside the pinball machine, a Wilhelm scream can be heard when an Obi-Wan Kenobi minifigure cuts a Ponda Baba minifigure's arm.