The Loop (Movies)
Do you like this video?
Distant Drums. As its name suggests, it is the sound of a man screaming, and over the years it has appeared in hundreds of films. The Wilhelm scream has also become something of an inside joke in the film industry, as the sound itself is iconic enough to be widely recognized. Beyond its uses in Pixar films, the Wilhelm scream has appeared in other animated films from Disney and DreamWorks Animation, as well as action films such as the Star Wars franchise and The Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Pixar films and shorts that use the Wilhelm scream
- Toy Story (1995) - When Buzz Lightyear gets pushed out the window by a lamp.
- A Bug's Life (1998) - A worker ant screams when the grasshoppers invade the colony.
- Cars (2006) - When a car gets zapped by a laser during Lightning McQueen's daydream of being sponsored by Dinoco.
- Your Friend the Rat (2007) - When an astronaut gets frightened by a rat during the song "Plan B".
- Lifted (2007) - When Ernie falls off the crater after the credits.
- Up (2009) - When the dogs are falling off a cliff while attempting to chase Carl Fredricksen and Russell with the bird, a Wilhelm scream can be heard.
- George and A.J. (2009) - When one of the houses burrows down, the Wilhelm scream can be heard.
- Day & Night (2010) - During the movie scene when the cowboy shoots a man off-screen.
- Toy Story 3 (2010) - During the opening scene, while Andy and his toys are watching a "scary movie" during the "You've Got a Friend in Me" sequence, a Wilhelm scream can be heard.
- Cars 2 (2011) - When the cars in the Ye Left Turn Inn beat Grem and Acer up.
- The Legend of Mor'du (2012) - When Mor'du throws down soldiers from a rock, the Wilhelm scream can be heard.
- Monsters University (2013) - When Mike unknowingly runs over a student with the floor waxer.
- The Radiator Springs 500½ (2014) - When the Baja pros fall down a cliff while chasing McQueen.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.